Clay Hill

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionSend by emailSend by email
Farm labourers work the fields at Clay Hill Farm in Devonshire Hill, Tottenham. Haycarts can be seen near the farm buildings - Copyright: Bruce Castle Museum (Haringey Culture, Libraries and Learning)
Farm labourers work the fields at Clay Hill Farm in Devonshire Hill, Tottenham. Haycarts can be seen near the farm buildings - Copyright: Bruce Castle Museum (Haringey Culture, Libraries and Learning)

"Devonshire Hill, formerly known as Clay Hill, was part of the manorial land owned by the Curtis family. In 1881, William Michael Curtis, and fellow trustees of the Curtis Settled Estates, enfranchised the Clay Hill land which was sold to the copyhold tenant, Frederick Alderton, for the sum of £1,178. At the turn of the century, Clay Hill was reached by a winding lane from White Hart Lane passing Devonshire Hill Lodge, River House and terminating at Devonshire Hill Farm, owned by the New River Company. The descriptions of the area by Mrs J W Couchman ("Reminiscences of Tottenham" 1909) and Fred Fisk ("History of Tottenham" 1923 Second Series) paint a rustic scene."